Welcome to A Cuppy Cake Life

Follow me on my journey as I experiment with different types of cupcakes and the joy a simple little treat can bring.

Savory Breakfast Cupcakes

Not all cupcakes have to be sweet. Although many prefer the sweet ones, savory cupcakes are becoming very popular. If it freaks you out to eat this, just think of it as a personal-sized breakfast bake. Leave the cupcake part out of it.



I must admit that I wasn't a huge fan of these. I felt like they were bland and needed more flavor. Other people really enjoyed them though so tell me what you think. Next time around I will probably do sharp cheddar instead of Parmesan and green onions instead of shallot. I could even do pepper jack and salsa for a kick. You can also substitute bacon for the sausage if you prefer. Just fry six pieces in a skillet and drain off half of the fat.

Don't forget about Cupcake Tuesday and the Delicious Dishes Blog Party!

Savory Breakfast Cupcakes

(makes 12 regular cupcakes)

2 red potatoes, peeled and grated
2 shallots, finely chopped
6 links breakfast sausage, casings removed
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
12 eggs, beaten
1 Roma tomato, thinly sliced
salt and pepper to taste



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin with vegetable oil spray. Set aside.



In a skillet over high heat, cook the sausage, breaking apart and crumbling with wooden spoon as it cooks. Cook until brown and no longer pink.



In a large bowl mix together grated potato, shallot and Parmesan cheese. Add sausage and it's grease. Mix together thoroughly. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin.



Add the salt and pepper to eggs. Pour over potato and sausage mixture filling muffin tin to just below the rim.



Bake for 12 to 15 minutes until eggs are set. Remove from oven and place tomato slice on top. Turn oven to broil and put the cupcakes back in for 3 to 5 minutes or until browned. Let sit in pans for a few minutes before removing to tray.



To remove cupcakes from pan, use a sharp knife to go all the way around the edge to release it. Then use to spoons to lift it out. Serve warm.

11 comments:

Lucy's Soup Can said...

I love this idea! They are so cute. Perfect for a brunch.

Dandelion and Daisy said...

I am going to make some of these, at home, ahead of a weekend trip to the beach, then broil them just before serving to reheat and top with salsa. They should travel alright if you just leave them in the cupcake pan. Sounds like a yummy and simple breadfast to me.

Elsie said...

I love this! I will be trying it out. =)

linds. said...

i'm a new follower. and these sound amazing!! yum!

lindsey
http://totallindsanity.blogspot.com/

casey aubut said...

Those look soo good!

I am your newest follower from Social Parade!
Would love for you to come by and check out my blog too!
Have a great weekend!
www.aubutfamily.com

M @ Betty Crapper said...

It freaks me out! I can't call them cupcakes. Cupcakes are sweets to me. I really like how you phrased it as a personal breakfast bake. If you find the right combination of ingredients you like better this could be really, really good for a large family brunch.

Elizabeth said...

Newest follower! Those breakfast cupcakes look good!!

Come visit me at

http://bethscoupondeals.blogspot.com/

Tiffanee said...

What a great idea. These look and sound so delicious! I am following you back from Friendly Friday!! Have a great weekend!!

Katie P said...

Yum yum yum!!! So glad I stumbled upon you on New Friend Friday! This looks absolutely divine!!

Katie P
Food, Wine, & Mod Podge

Ott, A. said...

What a great idea for Breakfast!!!!

Hoosier Homemade said...

I bet my house full of men would love those. They would make a great Make-Ahead Breakfast too. Just grab them from the freezer and re-heat.
Thanks for sharing on Cupcake Tuesday and Delicious Dishes!
~Liz

Post a Comment