Welcome to A Cuppy Cake Life

Follow me on my journey as I experiment with different types of cupcakes and the joy a simple little treat can bring.

Rocky Road Cupcakes

First I would like to beg your forgiveness for my pic this week. It is so humid here that my camera is not working properly. So humid that 90 degrees feels like 109 degrees with the heat index and tomorrow will be worse. I plan to thoroughly enjoy the AC!

These cupcakes were extremely messy. I accidentally overfilled the liners and when the marshmallows melted I had baked on goo. Please be careful so that you too won't have to soak your muffin pans in the bathtub!

I didn't know how much flavor the marshmallow buttercream would actually have since it is made with vegetable shortening instead of butter but it turned out really well. You could also top these with the marshmallow meringue that I used on the s'mores cupcakes. I dusted the tops of these with cocoa powder to finish them off.

Please let me know how yours turn out and which topping you prefer. Enjoy!

Make sure you check out Hoosier Homemade and It's A Blog Party!


Rocky Road Cupcakes
(makes approx. 24 regular cupcakes)

1 ½ cups mini marshmallows
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 cup water
2 eggs
½ cup buttermilk
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with paper liners. Add 5 mini marshmallows to each one followed by 2 teaspoons of walnuts. Set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In a medium saucepan combine butter, cocoa powder and water. Stirring constantly, bring mixture just to boiling and remove from heat. Add the chocolate mixture to the dry mixture and beat on high until thoroughly combined. Add eggs, buttermilk and vanilla and beat for another minute. Carefully pour the batter over the marshmallows and walnuts stopping ¼ inch from the top of the liners. Do not overfill.

Bake for 13 – 17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake part comes out clean. Run a sharp knife between the liners and the pan to loosen any marshmallow that may have spilled over. Let cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Marshmallow Buttercream

1 cup vegetable shortening
2 teaspoons vanilla flavoring
10 ounces marshmallow crème
1 ½ cups powdered sugar

Beat the shortening and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth. Add marshmallow crème and beat until fluffy. Slowly add the sugar. When thoroughly incorporated beat on high for 5 minutes until desired consistency is reached.

11 comments:

Team Chastain said...

OH my!! Will you be my bestest friend forever and make me some cupcakes? LOL

You should go on Cupcake Wars!

Mhel said...

rocky road + cupcake = you put two goodies into one decadent treat!

Lucy's Soup Can said...

That cupcake is like a work of art!

Yenta Mary said...

I want to come by and visit sometime -- I'll bring coffee, you provide cupcakes, and a good time will be had!

Anonymous said...

Practically Perfect in every way! Can't wait to try it.

M @ Betty Crapper said...

I hope you stay cool while baking. I hate the humidity. Where I live (S Florida) it's hot, humid and nasty until November.

Robin @ Blommi said...

Those look fantastic! I am trying not to bake now, since it is so hot, but you are tempting me.

Now following you from Friendly Friday Follow.

Victoria said...

mmm that looks delicious!!

I'm a new follower :)

~Victoria
http://ourlifewithjake.blogspot.com

Tanja said...

I found you on Friendly Friday Follow! I'm now a follower.
I think we have a lot in common, lol :D

I hope you'll find the time to check out my blog at http://tanjascupcakes.blogspot.com

Have a great weekend!
Tanja

annies home said...

look delicious

HoosierHomemade said...

These look amazing! My boys would love them!
Thanks for joining in the fun at Cupcake Tuesday and Blog Party!
~Liz

Post a Comment