Welcome to A Cuppy Cake Life

Follow me on my journey as I experiment with different types of cupcakes and the joy a simple little treat can bring.

Freedom Friday

This week has been all about food for me. More specifically it has been about what food or foods cannot be eaten. It's not fun!

I just found out that I have high cholesterol. I have been told to avoid red meat, shellfish, eggs, butter, cheese, and ice cream. I also need to change up the way I exercise (I usually walk). I am overweight but I don't over eat. My metabolism has died. I have had tests done and everything is normal. So I now must watch what I eat. Here's the thing: I don't eat very much of the foods I am supposed to avoid. At the most I have red meat and eggs once a week. Same with cheese. I hardly ever eat ice cream anymore and I mostly use olive oil instead of butter. I don't like seafood so that isn't a problem and I only allow myself one cupcake a week. I don't quite understand what the problem is. I go back to the doctor in three months to get my cholesterol checked again. Wish me luck!

I have also been concerned about what foods my one-year-old daughter can and cannot eat. We have thought for a while that she either was lactose intolerant or allergic to the protein in cow's milk. She has been on an amino acid based formula since she was four months old. This past Tuesday we had an appointment with the allergist. She has always had eczema which can go along with food allergies and since she has been unable to successfully eat any dairy our pediatrician suggested we get her tested.

We arrived at the children's hospital with an already cranky little girl. She was scheduled for a consultation and a skin test. Wouldn't you know that minutes before she was supposed to have the skin test her eczema flared out of nowhere. I mean I have never seen it like this before. It was all over her back and forearms - the only two places they can do the skin test. We were given a prescription for an ointment for her and rescheduled to come back at the end of the month. At least they were able to do the blood test portion. We were also given a prescription for an Epi-Pen. According to the allergist, if you even suspect that your child has an allergy you should have one. She also said that this probably is a true dairy protein allergy. Meaning no milk, cheese, ice cream, etc. She is also getting tested for allergies to soy, peanuts, tree nuts, egg whites, fish, shellfish, and wheat. At least I know she isn't allergic to wheat as she has had plenty of it and not a single reaction.

Since the appointment I have been trying to figure out how we would/will handle an allergy to any of these things. The milk allergy is not life threatening so it is just more of an annoyance. But what if she is allergic to peanuts? Or fish? Do we home school her to avoid any possible problems? How do we adjust everything? I know I will feel better after our next appointment. We will have the results and we will be able to form an action plan. I LOVE having a plan! I don't function well without one.

Do you have any suggestions either about my "diet" or allergies? If so I would love to hear from you! Also if you have any dairy-free recipes for any meal please let me know.


Smart and Trendy Moms

FollowMeFridays

friday-follow
The Girl Creative

badge

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can youGet to a naturopathic doctor? While an allergist is a great choice for determing life threatening allergies, they would give you any info on food intolerances or sensitivities. I just went through it with my 3yo. I wrote a post about it last week. A ND will help you too. If your metabolism has stopped it's likely bc something is out of balance. The hormone diet by Natasha Turner is a great book. It's not about pms/menopause hormones but the endocrine system. You will find answers in it.

Kristin said...

Visiting from "Follow Me Friday." LOVE cupcakes and yours look delicious! So sorry to hear about your little one's allergies. My husband has a nut allergy so we have to stay away from them with my 18 mth old just in case. If we ever try them with her, we'll be in the parking lot of the hospital! Hope she grows out the allergies!

Cassie Patel said...

I just found you from New Friend Friday. I just love cupcakes, cookies and the MOD so I have got to follow you. I am so sorry to read of your woes with certain foods. i do hope you find some answers you are looking for.

Bobbi@SnoodleDoodles said...

Friday Follow :)

You sound a lot like me. I went many years UNdiagnosed with hypothyroid. I would suggest seeing an endocrinologist and having them run a panel on your thyroid. There are a few tests to run and most MDs don't run all the right ones. I saw several docs before seeing an endo.

Good luck to you!

Michelle said...

Hi! Love your blog. :) can't wait until I have more time to explore! Following from Follow me Friady. Hope you'll consider following back!

http://cookathome2010.blogspot.com/2010/06/award-and-warm-welcome-to-new-friends.html

Unknown said...

Love it, love it, love it! Cupcakes are the bomb! I'm now following your blog from Social Parade! Please take the time to stop by my blog!

Cheap Geeks Anonymous

the lovely paper shop said...

darling blog! i really like your header, because i love cupcakes!!

happy friday!

i am your newest follower:)

Anonymous said...

I am following your blog, which I found on Social Parade. Some people are really good at making cholesterol, regardless of what they eat. I happen to be one of those. I am thin and eat healthy, so was shocked to find out my cholesterol was high. Doesn't sound like you can do much in the way of diet, since you don't eat much of what you aren't supposed to. Maybe increasing the exercise. My levels have been fine since I started running. Good luck. Have a great weekend!

CountessLaurie said...

Hello... popping in from Friday Follow Me. I am following you now. Hope you will follow back!

Now that I have kids in the school system, I have found that they are very aware and progressive about nut allergies (no outside food, classrooms are nut free if someone has an allergy). I think because more and more kids have these allergies, packaging has become better to list out ingredients and whatnot.

daniii♥ said...

I'm sorry to hear about your high cholesterol and all the allergies!

(visiting from nff)

Mhel said...

Sorry to hear about your lipid profile and your daughter's allergy. You should check with her pediatrician as to what other things she's allergic too. have her tested for lactose intolerance and gluten hypersensitivity.

Hi! Im your newest follower. Glad to meet a fellow foodie thru FFF. Hope you could follow back, drop by, and say hi!

http://penspansandpuns.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for joining my Follow Me Friday. I am your newest follower. Hope to see you again next Friday.

Lydia
www.ontheverge6.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Hi,
You have a very lovely blog.
Thank-you for the Follow.
I am following you too.
Check out my blog, Lisa's Gluten-Free Advice and Healthy Living. http://www.lisasglutenfree.com
I deal with food allergies too. I found out about my food allergies from my nature path.
Have a great weekend.
http://misc-oceansky.blogspot.com

Yenta Mary said...

Hi! Thanks for coming to visit me; following along ... :)

I read about the presumed dairy allergy. If you look for items/recipes that are "pareve" (pronounced "pahrv"), they will have no milk products. That's a designation for people who keep kosher; items that are pareve have neither meat nor dairy in them, because meat and dairy aren't allowed to be mixed according to the dietary laws. So things like fish and vegetables are pareve, but you can also get pretzels and cookies and non-dairy whipped cream and all sorts of other items, too. In my peanut butter pie post, I talked a bit about this: http://foodfloozie.blogspot.com/2010/06/peanut-butter-pie-sigh.html. I hope it helps ....

foodfloozie.blogspot.com

Christi @ The Frugal Novice said...

Thanks for being a part of Friendly Friday! I'm now following you back through GFC. Have a great weekend!

Sara said...

I'm sorry I have no suggestions for the non allergic foods :( I hope eveything ends up okay. Thanks for following my blog and I am now a new follower of yours. Maybe you will find some of my recipes tummy and body friendly for your family.

Charla @ Healthy Home Blog said...

Carolyn, thanks for posting Friendly Friday and for following me. I'm following you now too and I'm also following you on Twitter and would love to have you follow me there too.
My husband has to watch what he eats too. I use extra virgin olive oil a lot in cooking. A lot of veggies are good such as corn, green beans, etc, because they have plant steroids which can can prevent cholesterol from being absorbed into your bloodstream. He also takes fish oil.

Casey R said...

Hi, I'm a new follower from friendly friday.

Feel free to check out my blog:
http://theoverloadedmommy.blogspot.com/

SJ said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I really don't have any advice on the diet, sorry. And I'm sorry about your little ones allergy problems. But a lot of kids have allergies now. I also completely understand about needing a plan. Good luck to you and your family. Following now so I can see how everything turns out.

Froggy said...

Hi I'm here from Friday Follow!

http://darwinsfrg.blogspot.com

Hop on over to my pad and say hello :-)

Brandi said...

Hi! Stopping by from Friday Follow. Nice to meet you and I can't wait to read more about you and your family. Hope to see your around my corner of bloggy land!

www.fivemonkies.com

Kendra said...

I have the same thing as someone else who commented....hypothyroid. At first the doctor just said that my metabolisim was
slow, but come to find out my thyroid wasn't working super well! Now I have way more energy!!!
Kendra

P.S. I linked to my family blog this time, not key lime! :)

Post a Comment