Welcome to A Cuppy Cake Life

Follow me on my journey as I experiment with different types of cupcakes and the joy a simple little treat can bring.

Cupcake Challenge: Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes

This is week #3 in the Cupcake Challenge over at Hoosier Homemade. If you haven't visited her blog yet you really should! Our challenge this week was to take a box of cake mix and add to it to create a cake with a "from scratch" flavor. I decided to go the chocolate raspberry route.

I started with a devil's food cake mix and added a few extra ingredients (see the recipe below). I then filled the cupcake with raspberry jam and topped it with a raspberry buttercream. I must admit that it was pretty tasty even though I am not really a raspberry fan. I hope you enjoy this and be sure to go check out Hoosier Homemade!


Chocolate Raspberry Cupcakes
(Makes 24 regular cupcakes)

1 box devil's food cake mix with pudding (I used Betty Crocker)
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1/3 cup seedless raspberry jam

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients and beat until well mixed. Scoop 1/4 cup batter into each liner and bake for 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 3 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely. Once cool, fill with seedless raspberry jam and top with raspberry buttercream.

Raspberry Buttercream

1/2 cup vegetable shortening
6 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
1/3 cup whole milk

In a large mixing bowl, beat together shortening, jam and 2 cups of the powdered sugar. Add remaining sugar 2 cups at a time alternating with the milk. When well mixed beat on high for about 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.

2 comments:

HoosierHomemade said...

Mmm! Love chocolate and raspberry together! And yours looks so pretty!
Thanks so much for adding them to Cupcake Tuesday and the Challenge!
~Liz

Candi said...

Beautiful cupcake and I love how silky your buttercream looks!

Post a Comment