Welcome to A Cuppy Cake Life

Follow me on my journey as I experiment with different types of cupcakes and the joy a simple little treat can bring.

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes

Don't be scared to try these just because zucchini is involved! These are amazing, tender and moist muffin-like treats. The grated zucchini actually melts away when the cupcakes are baked and you can't taste it.

I would describe the flavor of these as a spice cake with a hint of orange and chocolate chips. The recipe was adapted from one in a Taste of Home cookbook I bought a few years ago. I topped them with a simple glaze so the icing would not take away from the flavor. I promise you will enjoy these even if you hate zucchini. Your kids will too and you can be happy knowing they are eating their veggies.

Because these are made like muffins, be careful that you don't over mix the batter. Stir just until everything is moist and incorporated. To add the glaze to mine I used a squeeze bottle. Feel free to drizzle it on with a spoon or dip the top of the cupcake right into it. It is thin and runny at first but will thicken and slightly harden over time.

When selecting a zucchini for this recipe, I like to use an extra large one. Peel it and then grate it with a box grater like you would a block of cheese. Be careful to avoid the seeds in the center.

I hope you enjoy these! My hubby took a few to work and everyone loved them. I am sure you will too!

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cupcakes
(Makes approx 24 cupcakes)

3 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon baking powder
3 eggs
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, sift together the flour, sugar, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, and baking powder. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, beat the eggs, applesauce, oil, orange zest, and vanilla. Add to dry ingredients and stir just until moistened. Fold in zucchini, walnuts and chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into the liners so that they are 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18 - 23 or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool in pans for 10 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk

Whisk together powdered sugar and milk until smooth. Drizzle on top of cooled cupcakes.


Be sure to check out these blogs!



Cupcake Tuesday at HoosierHomemade.com


It's a Blog Party

13 comments:

Rachel (Diary of a Recovering Chocoholic) said...

Yum!

I've made chocolate zucchini cupcakes before and loved them. And no one knew that there was zucchinni in them until I told them. Great way to sneak in veggies.

Yenta Mary said...

This is the only way my son will eat zucchini!

rachel@thecupcakesprinklesinlife said...

One of the best cakes I've ever made was a zucchini cake!

YUM!

I like the simple glaze on top as well...

the cape on the corner said...

coming over from NFF

looks yummy, and your blog header is super cute!

Brianne said...

Oh my goodness! They sound delicious! I can't wait to try these! ^_^

I LOVE cupcakes, and I am your newest follower! Would love for you to visit. :)

http://photognazi.blogspot.com

collettakay said...

These look awesome!

I'm coming from the Lady Bloggers Tea Party and am now following your blog!

Contact: said...

Yum! Great idea! Just dropping by from the LBS.

Anonymous said...

These look so yummy!

Found you on New Friend Friday, and am now a follower. I'm looking forward to more yummy recipes.

Stop by if you get a chance!

www.couponclippindaddy.com

Anonymous said...

Yummy!!!

HoosierHomemade said...

Those sound wonderful! I love adding zucchini, you don't taste it and it does make your baked good really moist!
I don't remember linking up to your Blog Hop. Did I miss something?
Thanks for adding your cupcakes to Cupcake Tuesday and Blog Party!
~Liz

alicia said...

YUMMY. So glad you decided to share these for tasty tuesdays. Thanks for grabbing the linky too. Come back anytime!

Its A Blog Party said...

Those look great!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz

Cap Creations said...

The zucchini cupcakes sound delicious! An adult cupcake YUM! Thanks for sharing.

Come say hi sometime.

Post a Comment