Welcome to A Cuppy Cake Life

Follow me on my journey as I experiment with different types of cupcakes and the joy a simple little treat can bring.

Butter Pecan Cupcakes

I love butter pecan ice cream. I think I get it from my mom. So when I found a recipe for a butter pecan cake in my trusty Taste of Home cookbook, I knew I had to turn it into cupcakes. These were such a hit that my father-in-law asked me to make his mother's birthday cake like this.

These are very simple to make. I toasted the pecans on the stove because there were so many of them. If you want to work in small batches you can use the microwave, too. To top the cupcakes, I sprinkled the remaining pecans over the icing. If you would like, you can just mix them into the icing and spread it on.

I hope that these make you as happy as they made my family. Don't eat too many though! They are very rich and there is over a pound of butter between the cupcake and the icing.

Be sure to check out Cupcake Tuesday and Delicious Dishes!


Butter Pecan Cupcakes
(makes approx 30 regular cupcakes)

2 2/3 cups chopped pecans
1 ¼ cups softened butter, divided
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 cup whole milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins and set aside.

In a large skillet, melt ¼ cup of the butter. Add the chopped pecans and toss to coat. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until nuts are toasted and fragrant, about 10-15 minutes. Do not overcook the pecans. Remove from heat and allow to cool.

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream sugar and remaining cup of butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and mix thoroughly after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Add the dry mixture in thirds, alternating with the milk. Mix well after each addition. Stir in 1 1/3 cups of the toasted pecans. The remainder will be used to top the cupcakes.

Spoon ¼ cup of batter into each liner. Bake for 13-17 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool in pans for 3 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Butter Pecan Frosting

1 cup butter, softened
8 ½ cups powdered sugar
5 ounces evaporated milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Cream together the butter, vanilla and 3 cups of the powdered sugar. Once well incorporated, add evaporated milk alternating with a cup of sugar at a time until all ingredients have been added. Beat on high for 5 minutes until light and fluffy. Spread on cupcakes and top with remaining 1 1/3 cups toasted pecans.

18 comments:

Yenta Mary said...

Those look SO fabulous!!!

Tanyia said...

omg that looks awesome!

Shannon said...

These look really good and I have a ton of pecans in my freezer waiting to be in these cupcakes!!!!

collettakay said...

Definitely going to try these. Thanks!

Nesty Girl said...

Yum! I have been making a "cheat's" version of butter pecan cupcakes using a mix and premade frosting...but I much prefer cakes and frostings made from scratch! I will definitely have to try this recipe!

RoseBelle said...

This is new, evaporated milk for frosting. I'd love to try this recipe sometime.

I'm your newest follower!

Anonymous said...

you make it look so easy

Carolyn said...

The evaporated milk in the frosting made it very creamy and yummy. Just make sure you don't accidently get sweetened condensed milk!

Kelley - I promisse you that these (and all cupcakes) are much easier to make than most people think. As proof, my hubby will be making the upcoming Coca Cola Cupcakes while I recover from surgery. In his words, "If I can do it I know anyone can!"

April@The 21st Century Housewife said...

Oh I love butter pecan anything, and your cupcakes look and sound wonderful!

HoosierHomemade said...

Wow! I think I just need to camp out over here:-)
I LOVE all your cupcakes, and these look amazing!
Thanks for adding them to Cupcake Tuesday!
~Liz

Red Couch Recipes said...

I agree with you on butter pecan ice cream and praline pecan is a close second! These look fab! Joni

Its A Blog Party said...

Yum! I love butter pecan!
Thanks for linking up!
~Liz

Anonymous said...

I made these today and they were yummy!!!! I also added a filling.

Ashley's Cooking Adventures said...

I made these today for my husband's birthday and they were delicious! Is it okay if I share the recipe with my own pics on my blog? I will link back to you! :)

Unknown said...

wow I love pecans and this recipe looks so easy.yum

Unknown said...

i attempted it and the cup cake was amazing but the frosting did not work so well. It didn't thicken up at all.

mayra_ferrusca said...

just made these yesterday and they came out amazing!! but the icing didnt thicken at all for me, it was really runny, I must have done something wrong, but other than that, they turned out amazing!!! the runny icing made it fun to eat though! :D

Leana said...

Look yummy, do you need to put in the fridge or can they stay out with the frosting on them.

Thanks

Post a Comment