Welcome to A Cuppy Cake Life

Follow me on my journey as I experiment with different types of cupcakes and the joy a simple little treat can bring.

Valentine's & Anniversary Cupcakes



I had planned to make these cupcakes for Valentine's Day. What I didn't know was that my husband had rescheduled my birthday party to surprise me and we had a ton of leftover cake. Instead I made them a week later for our second wedding anniversary.




I kinda cheated with the cake part - I used a box mix. This was my first time using my jumbo cupcake pan that I received for Christmas and I wanted to use something that I knew would work instead of starting from scratch. The cake is a red velvet. I then made a buttercream icing and dyed it bright pink. It was the first time I tried this particular icing and it's my new favorite. It isn't too sweet and it holds up well to decorating. I then added a red fondant heart. I dyed prepared white fondant the color I wanted and then rolled it about 1/4 inch thick. Using a small cookie/fondant cutter I cut out the hearts and inserted toothpicks into the bottom. This way they could be supported by the cake and not just balance on top. While I am not a big fan of the way fondant tastes I was pleased with the way the decorations turned out. In the future I may try using modeling chocolate.




I had intended to sprinkle red decorating sugar on top of the icing before adding the heart. I didn't remember this until after all of the cupcakes had been eaten. I guess I will just have to make them again!




If you are interested in trying the buttercream I made the recipe can be found at http://www.wilton.com/.


0 comments:

Post a Comment